Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Spook House Demon

Today I’m going to share a true story with you. It is very scary, and you may want to skip over it. I’ll tell you this before I start the story, I am still more than a little spooked over this, and I knocked around the idea of even sharing it with you all. I still have enough of the Scots-Irish superstitious beliefs in me to know that to tell a story like this could give “power” to the subject of this story. I’m not going to include any pictures or photo’s in this story, so there won’t be any way to associate this thing with anyone or any place.
Let me add that I don’t know what this thing in the story is, but I feel it important to tell you that even the Native Americans who travelled through this area would avoid it at all possible, they referred to this place as “the valley of the demons”.

To counter giving this thing power, I am going to start and finish this story with The Lord’s Prayer. Yes, I know I’m being paranoid, but you’ve not seen the things that I have seen, in regards to this, and I don't think I can be too careful. These things happened to my family over the past few years.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

It all started in about 1990, a few years after my Grandmaw Mary died. People always said that Grandmaw was so good, that she probably kept this thing at bay, but without her influence, there was nothing to stand in its way. All this occurs in my grandparent’s old house, which is about 100 feet from my parents house. A few months after Grandmaw’s death, people would get strange feelings when they were close to the old house, feelings like someone was watching you, or just a feeling or fear that’d make the hair stand up on your arms and on the back of your neck. The first time this thing was seen was in about 1993. Since the old house had a well, my aunts did their laundry in an old wringer washer that sat on the back porch of the old house, it was a lot easier than hauling the water up the hill to their house from the spring. One day, my Aunt Donna was there doing laundry with my little cousin Bub, who was then about 4 years old. As Donna was doing laundry, Bub would play around in the wash tub, and just do the things kids do when they are that age. All of a sudden, Bub stopped playing, and gasped out loud. Aunt Donna heard him and asked him what was the matter…why did he all of a sudden stop playing? He looked at her, and looked through the open back door of the house, and asked her, “What is that?” Aunt Donna looked but didn’t see anything, and she asked him what he was talking about, he replied, “That big black thing with the red eyes that is looking at me.” Well, Aunt Donna then got more than a little afraid, it was clear that Bub wasn’t making this stuff up, he wouldn’t resume playing or anything, he just stood in the yard and looked in the house. He kept saying, “Let’s Go”. Well Aunt Donna got afraid and they left, and later came back with my Granddad, who helped her wring out the clothes and finish up there. After that, Aunt Donna refused to go back over there to do laundry and they moved the old wringer washer up to their house where they had to carry water for it.

A few months later, my Uncle Tom needed a place to live so he moved into the old house. He lived there for a about six months, until one evening he came in from work, and walked in the door and started through the doorway that separates the living room and the kitchen. All of a sudden, he said this big black mass came out of nowhere, and grabbed him by the throat, picked him up off the floor and threw him against the wall. My Uncle Tom is a big man too, he’s 6 feet 4 inches tall and at that time weighed about 200 pounds. Getting slammed against the wall knocked the air out of Uncle Tom and as he laid against the wall, this thing grabbed him up again and just said two words, “Leave Here”. Well, that thoroughly scared Uncle Tom and he moved out the same evening. He said he didn’t care if he had to sleep in his truck, he would never stay there again.

About a year later, my Uncle Dan went through a divorce and he needed a place to live. He knew the story of what happened to his brother, Tom, but he said he really needed a place to live, and you know how mountain men are…really hesitant to believe something like this. Well, Uncle Dan talked his Uncle Wood to live there with him, so they’d be company for each other. They lived there about a year, but soon Uncle Dan started having really bad dreams. Every night it was the same. He was wrestling a black mass with red eyes that kept trying to kill him. Uncle Dan started sleeping with a Bible under his pillow, as a local preacher suggested, but every morning when Uncle Dan would wake up, the Bible would be moved from under the bed pillow to a shelf on the other side of the bedroom. During this time, Uncle Wood slept peacefully and said nothing was bothering him. Well, these nightmares continued for Uncle Dan for a few months, and eventually they got so bad that he started to dreaming that this thing was killing him…night after night, it would kill him in his dreams. Always before, he’d get away from it before it could kill him. Needless to say, every morning, Uncle Dan was visibly shaken. Well, after having one of these nightmares one night, Uncle Dan awoke to find an unsheathed hunting knife, with the blade against his throat and with him trying to pull it away. He said there was a force of some kind that was pushing the knife closer to his throat. After awaking to this, Uncle Dan moved out of the spook house to a little shack nearby. This left Uncle Wood there alone. Uncle Wood stayed there a few months after this, but eventually, even he admitted that he was starting to have bad nightmares, much like those that Uncle Dan had, and one morning Uncle Wood got up out of bed and left the house with nothing but the clothes that he had on his back. The covers on the bed are still in the same position as they were the morning that Uncle Wood folded them back and got out of bed. Uncle Wood then moved in with his son who lives in Randolph County, where he remains to this day. He, to this day, won’t talk about what went on during his last night in the spook house.

By this time, everyone in the community took to calling the old house, “the spook house” and everyone avoided it. Electricity was turned off to it, and the lines were even taken off the house, though the electrical appliances still remained in it. It became pretty common when you were walking by the house to hear a television start playing or hear a radio cut on. You could also hear doors slamming in the house, and then someone pointed out, there are no inside doors in the house, just little privacy curtains in the doorways. There is only a back door and a front door.

I used to mow grass near the spook house; I had just finished mowing one evening and started walking back toward my parent’s house. I heard what sounded like something running in the house, it was heavy running, nearly rocking the house. After hearing this, I wasn’t letting any grass grow under my feet if you know what I mean, and the running sounded like it was keeping pace with me, only on the inside of the house. When I got past the end of the house, there was a loud smack like someone beating the side of the house where the house ended. I told Dad about it, and he said, “Yeah, it’s that thing again”. He said it happened to him nearly every time he mowed over there. Needless to say, that was my last time of mowing near there.

Another few years passed and it became clear to us the thing seemed to be the most active when it was extremely hot, or extremely cold, or especially following a thunderstorm. This continued along the same lines until my mother got down sick with a muscle illness. This coincided with her starting into the Change of Life. Then we started to get little hints that the thing had started to come into our house as well. I remember lying in bed at night, and hearing a door slam in the spook house. You could almost count the steps between that house and ours. And all of a sudden a feeling that you were not alone would happen, then it would get really cold in my bedroom (which was the closest room to the spook house). This happened in the dead of the summer when nights hovered near 80 degrees and there was no air conditioning at our house. It would then get so cold you couldn’t hardly stand it. I took to sleeping with a Bible on my headboard, and when I felt the presence of something in my room, I would say “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, I command you to leave me alone”. This always worked, but this became a nearly nightly event. My brother, whose room was directly across the hallway from mine, and parents told of similar happenings.

It got worse after Jason and I started college, and it was just Mom and Dad at home. One time, Mom got a real clear sign that it had come into our house. My Dad always leaves for work at 5:30 every morning. One day, about 6 am, Mom heard the front door close and she heard Dad walked back to the bedroom. She asked him, “What’s wrong? Aren’t you going to work today?” He said, “No, I just want to be with you today, Linda.” Well, this struck Mom as odd since Dad never calls Mom by her name, but rather by Honey, or Sweetie. Mom then looked at Dad, who was standing by the bed, and noticed that he had on a different coat than the one Dad wore all the time. Then it dawned on her and she said, “You’re not Jake, You’re not my husband”. The figure that looked like Dad just let out a laugh and disappeared right before Mom’s eye’s. Mom swears she was awake during this, that is wasn’t a dream. Nearly every morning after that, something along the same lines would happen, and Mom, who I mentioned earlier was suffering from a muscle condition, started getting weaker and weaker. Mom had a diagnosis for her muscle condition, but her symptoms were too severe to be explained by the diagnosis. She saw several specialists who could come up with no reason why she kept getting weaker and weaker. Mom and Dad noticed that when they stayed overnight in Morgantown, where Mom was seeing the specialists, she would begin to feel better and regain some of her strength, but as soon as they returned home, she would take another turn for the worse. This, compounded with Mom’s complaints of being bothered by the thing from next door, led me and my brother to consult with several sources online that dealt with the supernatural to see if they could offer some advice.

One source said to sprinkle a ring of salt all the way around our house, and to mark every door, window, or entry point (including where water and gas lines come in the house) with a cross. We did this, everywhere you looked at our house, there was either a figure of a cross, a paper cut-out of a cross, or a permanent marker drawing of a cross. This did help quite a bit, but then every morning, and sometimes throughout the day, Mom would be awakened or alarmed by a sound coming from our yard. She’d look out the window and see a thing in the yard that would be moaning as if in agony and looking in the window at her. It never would cross the ring of salt though. Mom described the thing as having a body of a large cat about 10 feet long and 3 feet across. She said it had eyes that looked like rectangles that kept radiating inward. She said it was kind of purplish in color and it glistened, and it had huge ears. She said its claws looked to be about 6 inches long and curved inward, much like a cat. This kind of reminded people of a description of the Wampus Cat, but Mom suspected that the thing from next door was just taking the form of what we’d always heard that a Wampus Cat looked like. Mom said it would cut an awful shine out there in the yard, and dig at the dirt and throw dirt in the air. When Dad would get home from work later that evening, she’d tell him about it and he could see places in the yard that were dug up by what looked like claws. Mom would try her best to ignore this, and after a few months she was starting to regain some of her strength. About this time, my little cousin, Mernie, was just coming into womanhood, and the thing started getting stronger again, especially when Mernie would visit. Mom wouldn’t let Mernie out in the yard without someone with her. Everyone was really afraid. It got so bad that Mom and Dad even considered moving away, but after much discussion, they figured that if that thing was drawn to Mom, it’d probably just follow them wherever they moved to.

It was also around this time that something started going on with the water at Mom and Dad’s house. They got their water from a well that was beside of the spook house. The water had something in it that looked and felt like little pieces of black felt. We thought for a while that it could be coal, but it was smooth like felt and was some type of cloth. This substance clogged up the faucets and the drains, and Dad had to remove the little filter screen from the faucets because this felt-like substance was stopping up the water lines. Someone suggested that it could be the water line itself, that it was peeling away from the inside, so Dad dug up and replaced every piece of water line that ran from the well to our house. The problem continued. Then, something else happened with the water, it started leaving a film on you. Mom and Dad didn’t notice because they bathed in it all the time, but everyone else could that didn’t live there all the time but just visited. The film would settle on your skin and you couldn’t wash it off. It was an invisible film but you could still feel it on you. Shirley, Jason and I always felt fortunate to return back to Morgantown, where we lived, so we could wash this film off of us. Then, someone suggested that the thing next door might be trying to get in the house through the water line, so they put a cross on each faucet and on the water lines as the came in the house and at the water heater. Almost at once, the black felt-like substance stopped, but the film persisted.

After this went on for several months, I talked to a fellow who deals with the supernatural, and I explained everything to him, and he suggested that this was a very young entity (or demon, for lack of a better word), that was mischievous and was probably disturbed by a change in the natural surroundings, he added that there may be a otherworldly portal near there. He further suggested that this change might be a number of things and could I think of anything that was changed about the time this thing started becoming active. I thought on it a few days, and remembered about the time that Grandmaw Mary passed away, there was a big thunderstorm that came and blew over the giant old willow tree that stood between our house and the spook house. I mentioned this to the fellow, and he suggested to replant a willow tree in the exact spot of the old one that blew over, and to say a prayer over it as soon as it was planted. We were desperate, and Dad planted a young willow tree in the same spot, and he and Mom said a prayer over it when it was planted. Immediately, Mom was no longer bothered by anything, all the feelings and film in the water stopped. It was almost instantaneously. Since that time, every once in a while you can still get feelings of someone is watching you when you are near the old spook house, but nothing like before. It doesn’t bother us anymore and we don’t bother it. But we do make sure that willow tree stays alive.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.


Nance said...

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

I believe. Thank you for relating this.

tipper said...

Wow-a truly powerful story Matthew.

The Tile Lady said...

This is truly VERY frightening, and thankfully you asked for help to get it under control. I often say prayers that Jesus will bind Satan and keep evil out of the dreams of my young grandson and all my loved ones, and myself. I feel like children especially are so vulnerable in their sleep. Thank the good Lord that this evil is under control in that old house, and in your own home, Matthew! I can see why you were hesitant to share this, but I do believe that things like this can happen. We just have to trust the Lord to protect us.